You spot a strange discoloration on your shingle roof; does that mean you need to look at roof replacement? Your local roofer schedules roof replacement for a Wednesday—will you be able to have a kids’ birthday party Saturday under the new roof?
The Warning Signs You Need Roof Replacement
Roofing experts, including our crews at Adams Roofing, will tell you that discoloration from algae or a little moss is not a sure sign you need a new shingle roof. Widespread moss can harm your shingles, but here are more important warning signs to watch for:
- Shingle condition—If, from the ground (never climb on your roof), you see shingle edges curled up, tabs that are cup-shaped, missing pieces, dislodged shingles or cracks, you may need roof replacement
- Granule loss—If you can safely check your gutters from an extension ladder, see how much of your roof is in the gutter! A lot of granule loss means your shingles have lost their water resistance; you can also look for bald spots on the roof itself
- Age—Most fiberglass-asphalt shingles are designed for two decades of use; if your Elk Grove Village home’s roof is more than 20 years old, contact Adams Roofing for a professional inspection and prognosis
- Appearance—Faded color, a general tired, worn look, or a shingle color that just looks outdated can all be reasons to consider roof replacement
The Process of Shingle Roof Replacement
Once you contact Adams Roofing to arrange a new shingle roof, we will send one of our representatives to your Chicagoland home to inspect and estimate the roof. Factors such as square footage, roof pitch (its relative steepness) and accessibility affect how long the job will take.
Though each job site differs, the steps are roughly the same:
1. Protect your plants and landscaping
2. Tear off the old shingles—We clean up after ourselves, too!
3. Inspect the old sheathing—We replace sections as needed and ensure proper nailing throughout
4. Cut sheathing for roof vents if needed
5. Install drip edge—This helps divert water away from your roof
6. Install water and ice shield—An absolute must with Elk Grove Village winters!
7. Install roofing felt or self-adhesive underlayment
8. Install your new fiberglass-asphalt shingles
9. Site cleanup
10. Job inspection
Believe it or not, all those steps usually only take two or three days with our equipment and experienced crews. Contact Adams Roofing today to learn more about what is involved with replacing your home’s shingle roof.